Wednesday, July 03, 2013 8:32 AM
All clients with a current Inmagic maintenance subscription for either DB/Text for SQL or WebPublisher PRO should soon be receiving an email from Inmagic with the download information for version 14. Version 14 of the non SQL version of DB/TextWorks was released last year.
If you have a current maintenance subscription but have not received a notification email in the next week, please email email@example.com with your serial number and email address so it can be resent. Please also remember to let us know if your contact information has changed so we can update our records and pass this on to Inmagic.
New and enhanced features in WebPublisher PRO include:
- Support for renaming query logs and starting new ones on a scheduled basis.
- Ability to edit validation lists.
- Ability to expose the Find button and disable find-as-you-type in InmagicBrowse.
- InmagicBrowse can now update records after a validation term is changed to another term already in the list.
- Improved support for Internet Explorer v10.
Please contact us if you would like assistance upgrading or would like to renew an expired maintenance subscription. We can also help you update your current interface to include the latest features available in the software itself, or with our add-on products.
Monday, June 10, 2013 6:19 PM
The DB/TextWorks runtime version is a free, search-only version of the non-SQL DB/TextWorks. It’s a useful tool for providing access to a textbase just for searching. Originally it was a popular way of distributing a textbase on a CD, but now it's often used in these scenarios:
- Archives or library reading rooms with no internet or network access.
- Very small law firm libraries without an intranet for staff searching.
- Prisons or correctional institutes where the inmates have no internet or network access or there is concern about tampering with the data.
- One time anniversary projects to distribute searchable copies of a textbase.
Although there are multiple ways of publishing DB/TextWorks textbases on the web or intranet, we still regularly get requests for assistance with setting up runtime instances, so we’ve written up the following guidelines and best practices.
The first step in any runtime implementation is to read the DB/TextWorks online Help. Search for “runtime” and read the licensing section, how to install the software and what to give end users or transfer to the PC where it is to be installed. You will need to have downloaded the runtime installation kit from the Inmagic extranet. Depending on the version this was included in the DB/TextWorks download zip file and appears as a \runtime folder, or more recently it is available as a separate download. Login using the credentials from your most recent emailed download notification from Inmagic to download the install kit.
- Only one user can access the runtime version at a time.
- Exclusive access to a textbase is required, so you cannot install the runtime on a network server and set it to search your live textbases.
- The textbases are read-only once installed on the target PC. This means you will not be able to adjust any query screens or reports on the target PC.
- If you have links to images or documents in your textbases, the runtime version requires linked files to be in the same folder as the textbase.
Over the years our preferred procedure for creating and updating runtime versions has evolved to the following:
- Create a folder called DB/Text_Runtime and unzip the install kit files.
- Create a copy of the textbase that you wish to make available through the runtime version in this folder. (Name it to distinguish from the original such as CatalogRuntime.) (Menu screen > Manage Textbases > Copy Textbase).
- If desired, open this new textbase and search for and Batch Delete any records that should not be included. (Records > Batch Delete)
- Open this new textbase and set defaults for query screens and forms appropriate for runtime users (Maintain > Change Textbase Defaults)
- Optionally, remove extraneous forms to avoid confusion – most runtime users will only need a couple of reports (Maintain > Manage Textbase Elements)
- Edit these chosen query screens and forms to add more search tips or information suitable for new or infrequent users. (Search > Design Query Screen or Display > Design Form)
- Copy any linked image or document files that you want to make accessible into this same folder.
- Batch modify the fields for image or document links to remove pathing information. (Records> Batch Modify. Choose Substitute Text and Affects Matching e.g. if a typical entry is N:\Archives\Images\2012-01-67.jpg enter the path to the last \ in the Old Entry box (N:\Archives\Images\) and leave the New Entry box blank. This will leave just 2012-01-67.jpg in the field.) You may need to run several separate batch modifications if you have linked files in many different folders.
- Create an introductory menu screen in the same folder setting the preferred query screen and forms. (Menu Screens > Design > Create > Box Properties > Initial Elements). You may wish this to contain contact and additional explanatory information.
To install the runtime version:
- Copy over the entire DB/Text_Runtime folder as created above (make sure to close the runtime textbase first).
- Run setup.exe and follow the install instructions.
- When DB/TextWorks first opens, Select the appropriate menu screen ( Menu Screens > Select).
- Customize the toolbars to remove extraneous or confusing icons, i.e. the Sort Report and Select Form icons if you have specified only one report of each type. (Tools > Customize Toolbar).
- Any adjustments to query screens or report forms or the data itself will need to be made on the original version and the files copied over again. Always be sure the textbase is not open when copying the files.
To update the runtime databases:
- Export and Import records from your working textbase rather than using Copy Textbase again unless you are OK with repeating all the steps above each time.
- Use Copy Textbase to create a new copy of the Runtime version of the textbase instead.
- In your working textbase, search for all new or modified records (or just the subset you wish to make available through the runtime version).
- Export in Inmagic Tagged Format (File > Export. Inmagic Tagged | Current Record Set | All fields)
- Switch to your Runtime textbase and Import. (File > Import. Inmagic Tagged | Add/Replace = Check for Matching Records & Replace Fields matching on your textbase unique record identifier field. (You should always have an Automatic Number type field such as Record ID.) Accept New Record if Match Not Found) The screenshot is from version 14 which added the ability to set up Import Profiles so you can retain these settings for the next update.
- If you have image or document links you will need to batch modify these for any new or updated records and ensure that you copy over these files into the runtime folder too.
- Delete the original runtime textbase and rename the new version to the original name (Manage Textbases > Delete and then Rename). This ensures your menu screen still links correctly.
Setting up and maintaining the runtime version can be quite time consuming! If you do have an intranet or web site, please contact us to discuss the various options for publishing your textbases. We can also host authenticated sites if you do not have your own intranet or webserver.
Monday, June 10, 2013 1:44 PM
SydneyPLUS, the leading global developer of knowledge management solutions, announced yesterday that SydneyPLUS and all of its affiliated companies – Inmagic Canada Software, Cuadra Associates, Questor Systems, LookUp Precision, LawPort, and Incite Software Solutions – will now operate as one company under the new name Lucidea Corporation. All products will retain their brand names, and will continue to be enhanced and supported by Lucidea.
"The creation of a consolidated corporate structure allows Lucidea to more effectively leverage combined resources to support strategic initiatives in product development, sales and marketing, and implementation services. Innovation and growth in these areas will enable Lucidea to more quickly deliver exciting products and enhancements to its rapidly expanding global customer base. "
If you have questions about the specifics of the change, Inmagic have put together some resources to address them. You can find the customer FAQ, the press release announcing Lucidea, a new corporate overview, and consolidated product information, at the new corporate website, www.lucidea.com.
For our Inmagic customers, we will be still be your reseller and it will be “business as usual” with the same contacts, emails and phone numbers. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about this announcement.
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:23 PM
Please check out the latest issue of our newsletter.
- VuFind 1.4 Released with Features for Archives
- Visit with us in 2013
- DB/TextWorks Version 14 Released
- Embedding Audio and Video Playback in Search Results
Tips and Tricks
- Generating Additional Statistics from Inmagic Genie
Tweets of Interest
Please contact us for further information or to be added to our newsletter list.
Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:36 PM
Please join us for a special user group event featuring Phil Green, COO, Inmagic; and Kathy Bryce and Jonathan Jacobsen from Andornot.
- Interested in a peek at the Inmagic product development roadmap?
- Looking for the latest information to maximize your investment in Inmagic products?
- Curious to learn more about Inmagic's most recent product offering, Presto for DB/Text?
- Eager to connect with your Inmagic peers to discuss best practices, tips and tricks?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, please join Phil Green and Inmagic Authorized Partner, Andornot, on Wednesday, January 30th from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. for an Inmagic user group meeting in Toronto.
This educational, interactive session – open to all Inmagic users – will cover all these topics and more. Plus, beverages will be served.
See below for full event details. To register, please email Gina Napolitano. But sign up today – seating is limited!
Event Details: Toronto User Group Meeting
Date: Wednesday, January 30th
Time: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST
Niagara Room (lower level)
225 Front Street West
Toronto, ON Canada
Registration: Please send an e-mail to Gina Napolitano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Note: Andornot will be exhibiting at the Ontario Library Association Super Conference at the Toronto Convention Centre, Booth 717, on January 31st and February 1st. Contact Andornot at email@example.com to request a login for a free pass to the exhibit area.
We look forward to seeing you on January 30th!