Monday, July 31, 2017 8:39 AM
Inmagic has released version 16 of the very popular and long-standing DB/TextWorks database management system, and the companion WebPublisher PRO web search interface. Several new features, as well as issues fixed from previous releases, continue to make this software great value for our clients.
New features include:
- Sorting – When specifying sort fields, you now have the option to sort empties last. Before, records where the sort field was empty could only be listed first or omitted. Since this option does not change the perceived number of records in the report, it is also available for the textbase Default Sort Order and for WebPublisher reports.
- Form Designer – WebPublisher reports can now easily link from a small image on a web page (a thumbnail) to the full size image. The new option is on the HTML tab of the Picture Box Properties dialog box.
- Adding/Editing Records – When editing a Link field, a new type of box permits you to browse the values in a field other than the Link field, making it easier to select the record you want to link to. For example, you can display the list of Borrower Names, and clicking a name will paste that user’s employee ID into the Link field box.
- Select All (Ctrl+A) – This keyboard shortcut now behaves as it does in nearly every other product. You can use it to select all the text in a box, all the boxes on a form or screen, all the text in the Command Query window, or all the annotations on an image. In previous releases, Ctrl+A was used for Redo. Redo now uses Ctrl+Y.
- Edit Textbase Structure – The Edit Fields dialog box has two new features:
- Sort Field List by – This feature permits you to sort the Field List by Field Name, or by Field Type.
- Hide <Deleted> Fields – This option permits you to hide the <Deleted> items so they do not clutter up the display.
- Note: Both are display-only features to make it easier to find and work with the fields you want to modify. Neither affects the actual field order specified in the structure.
Other issues addressed include:
- Print Images – If a textbase has multiple Image fields, and you print only the images from a specific field, blank pages are no longer printed for any images specified in the other fields.
- Report window – Addressed an issue with the records sometimes not being visible past the first page when you held down the mouse scroll wheel then dragged the mouse.
- Send Report as Mail – Improved the handling of multiple email addresses when using the "Mail to addresses specified in records" feature.
- Textbase Information – Addressed an issue where longer short date formats caused the year to be truncated in the "Current date" specified at the top of this display.
- Toolbar icons – The icons for Vertical Tile and Horizontal Tile were backwards in previous releases. This issue has been corrected, and the options have been renamed to "Show Windows Side by Side" and "Show Windows Stacked" to make their behavior clearer.
- Form Designer – Addressed an issue with the Box Properties dialog box crashing when a box included an extremely large Fixed Text or Added Text string (usually HTML).
- Textbase Information – Removed Windows Group Memberships from Textbase Information and "About this Computer System".
- WebPublisher Browse Choices – The buttons have been optimized; for example, we've added an "Add & Close" button so that users no longer need to click "Add" then "Close".
If you upgrade from a version prior to 15 directly to 16, be sure to read the instructions about the necessary upgrade to your textbases as well as the software. If you're already using version 15 or 15.5, you’ll have done this already.
Clients with a current Inmagic maintenance subscription will receive emails from email@example.com with instructions for downloading this release. As always, contact Andornot with any questions about this new release, to check the status of your maintenance subscription, or for help upgrading.