Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:21 PM
Version 3.0 of VuFind, the popular open-source
discovery interface, was released April 25, 2016.
This version brings VuFind up to date with important PHP and Solr developments while also adding several new features and offering a straightforward upgrade path from the 2.x series of releases.
Some key additions and changes:
- Improved support for indexing multiple authors (and other types of creators).
- New filtering options in “combined search” mode to make your "bento box" search even more flexible.
- A database-driven record cache to improve performance and permanence when working with third-party APIs.
- Compatibility with PHP 7 and Ubuntu 16.04.
- Inclusion of Solr 5.5.0, which adds new indexing features and better Windows support.
- A significantly rewritten front-end theme offering greater stability, improved ease of customization and a more consistent user experience.
- New recommendation modules to help guide users to better search results.
Additionally, several bug fixes, new configuration options and minor improvements have been incorporated.
Although VuFind was largely developed by and for academic libraries, we've found applications for it in
other organizations, including smaller specialized libraries. Our blog has details of selected projects. In general, we recommend VuFind for
organizations with purely bibliographic records and little or no need for customization, a custom graphic design, integration of other features
or content, etc. For organizations with those requirements, our Andornot Discovery Interface is a perfect choice.
Contact us to learn more about the VuFind discovery interface and how it might suit your organization.