Features added to Inmagic DB/TextWorks over time are provided here. This list can help you decide whether to upgrade your version to the latest.
Version 16 (current version)
- Sorting – When specifying sort fields, you now have the option to sort empties last. Before, records where the sort field was empty could only be listed first or omitted. Since this option does not change the perceived number of records in the report, it is also available for the textbase Default Sort Order and for WebPublisher reports.
- Adding/Editing Records – When editing a Link field, a new type of box permits you to browse the values in a field other than the Link field, making it easier to select the record you want to link to. For example, you can display the list of Borrower Names, and clicking a name will paste that user's employee ID into the Link field box.
- Select All (Ctrl+A) – This keyboard shortcut now behaves as it does in nearly every other product. You can use it to select all the text in a box, all the boxes on a form or screen, all the text in the Command Query window, or all the annotations on an image. In previous releases, Ctrl+A was used for Redo. Redo now uses Ctrl+Y.
- Edit Textbase Structure – The Edit Fields dialog box has two new features:
- Sort Field List by – This feature permits you to sort the Field List by Field Name, or by Field Type
- Hide <Deleted> Fields – This option permits you to hide the <Deleted> items so they do not clutter up the display
- Note: Both are display-only features to make it easier to find and work with the fields you want to modify. Neither affects the actual field order specified in the structure.
- Rich Text fields – When editing an empty Rich Text field, the Rich Text Editor now defaults to the Text Font specified in the Tools>Options>Display settings. This font is also used when you use Edit Textbase Structure to change the Field Type to Rich Text.
- MSXML 4.0 All calls to MSXML 4.0 have been changed to call MSXML 6.0 or later.
- E-mail Options – The E-mail tab of the Tools>Options dialog box will now retain any specified Mail server IP address.
- Install Kit – Removed the check for Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Import Document – Addressed an issue importing specific large PDF files.
- Export – When exporting a subset of fields, addressed an issue selecting fields from a linked textbase.
- Rich Text fields – The Font list on the Rich Text Editor dialog box now has a scrollbar.
- Form Designer – Addressed a couple of specific issues with Compulsory Sorts.
- Manage Textbase Elements – Addressed an issue importing forms that included lengthy Form Scripts.
- Print Images – Printing multiple images now works.
- Search – Proximity and phrase searches that include accented characters in the search criteria now work when accents are ignored.
- New Field Type: Rich Text. The Rich Text field type permits you to change fonts (font name, size, color, bolding, italics, etc.) within a single field, align text, create bulleted lists, and so on.
- New Field Type: Call Number. When records are sorted by a field using the Call Number field type, Call Numbers are sorted in the correct order.
- Email Enhancements: Email dialogue more closely resembles sending mail from an email client, and includes fields for additional message text and a signature.
- Limits on the number of fields, characters in field names, linked textbases, forms, query screens, and many other features have all been increased.
- Substitution Lists: Additional Field Types now support Substitution Lists: Call Number, Code, Image, Link, and Number.
- Import Document. Improved IFilter text extraction for PDF files, especially those with text in the margin. Also, line breaks are added after each period-space (". ") to improve readability.
- HTML, XML and Text Encoding enhancements for increased compatibility.
- DB/Text for SQL now supported on SQL Server 2014.
- As well as features for publishing to the web, assorted small fixes, and a few older, less-used features removed.
- The toolbar button icons used throughout the UI have been replaced with new, modern-looking images. The icons are now more industry-standard and will display more robustly in various toolbar sizes.
- DB/TextWorks is now supported on Windows Server 2012 R2.
- CSV is now one of the available selections in the Export File As dialog.
- Profiles: you can create, save, name, and select from multiple sets of parameters to use when importing records, exporting records, and sending email reports.
- Improved support for viewing PDF files.
- Correcting a validation list term can now update affected records. Previously, correcting a typographical error in a validation list (that already contains the correctly spelled term) did not cause affected records to be updated as well. The error message reported that the target term was already in the list and did not go further. Now, that message has OK and Cancel buttons. Cancel behaves as before. OK permits the records to be updated.
- Updated spell-check engine - the spell-check software and dictionaries have been updated.
- DB/TextWorks is now supported on Windows 8.
- Query logging. the ability to log queries processed by a textbase, similar to the equivalent feature in WebPublisher PRO, is now possible with DB/TextWorks. Look for "query logging" in the help index.
- Export secondary textbase fields. Fields from linked textbases can be exported.
- E-mail authentication. Specify a login name and password to pass to a mail server.
- Run-time version. DB/SearchWorks Run-time has been updated to v13.
- New help format. DB/TextWorks online help is now using a WebHelp format. This format is compatible with the newer Microsoft operating systems, and can be accessed from the server hosting DB/TextWorks in a multi-user environment.
- Larger recent-textbase list. The list of most recently opened textbases on the File menu can now contain up to 15 textbases. Use Tools > Options to change your settings.
- Taller field list when designing a textbase. More fields appear on the screen where fields and their properties are designed.
- PowerPack Lite installation. PowerPack Lite now has its own Setup.EXE, instead of being bundled with the DB/TextWorks installation.
- Improvements to batch modify: change more than one field at a time; copy or move the contents of one field to another
- Improvments to validation lists: Update records to match validation list changes
- Option to update multiple matching records when importing
- Thesaurus expansion when searching
- Enhanced E-mail options: E-mail reports in HTML; E-mail reports grouped by recipient
- Support for the latest version of PDF formats from Adobe® Acrobat® when treating the PDF file as an image field.
- Microsoft Vista compatibility (DB/Text only)
- Limited Undo in the Form Designer
- File Checker to verify that files referenced on the local directory or network still exist
- Ability to select form for Edit Secondary Record window
- HTML report preview
- Ability to see file locations of the DB/TextWorks program files (dbtext32.exe, inmagic.ini & dbtext.ini) without opening a textbase (Help >> About this Computer System)
- Toolbar button option for Browse files
- Support for putting a PDF file name into an image field when importing document text
- List of all textbase elements provided in Textbase Information listing
- Support for PDF's as images so that these can be viewed within DB/TextWorks without launching Adobe Acrobat
- Support for GIF images
- Ability to browse the file system to select a file during data entry
- Enhancements to batch modify for changing special characters such as line breaks and entry delimiters; ability to add text to the beginning or end of an entry.
- Dead URL Link Checker
- Improved handling of long file names.
- Import Document using IFilters from Microsoft and other vendors to extract text from documents in a variety of formats (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, etc.)
- Support for mouse scroll wheels
- Improved image file support, ie. "progressive JPEGs"
- Store Custom Colors
- Sort Field Lists Alphabetically
- Large Toolbar Buttons
- Shared validation lists using a thesaurus
- Browse Thesaurus combined with Browse Choices
- Bar code generator application
- XML import / export capability
- Record level security with Access Contol fields
- Enhanced textbase logging
- Check to see who has textbase open
- Next Highlighted Term improved functionality
- Support for URL cataloging of Web pages through Inmagic.NET
- Relevance ranking
- Rebuild indexes while checking a textbase
- Enlarge text and added text windows in the Form Designer.
- Attachments via Send Report as Mail
- New scripting function for email.
- "Buy" button to purchase books online
- "Script Input" boxes on a form
- Ability to skip N labels when printing
- Live Hyperlinks in Reports
- Improved Scripting Capabilities
- SMTP support for "Send Report as Mail"
- Ability to mail a report from within DB/TextWorks
- Pictures/Logos in menu and query screens and display report and edit windows
- Improved form designer
- Ability to add Script buttons and functions for forms and query and menu screens
- Images in reports Cascading search menus (a search menu can open another search menu)
- Spell Check
- More exact searching options
- Copy/Rename & Delete Textbase menu choices
- Window size and position retained for all windows
- Automatic window synchronization
- Last-used Import/Export and Batch Modify options are retained
Andornot is an authorized value-added reseller of Inmagic products.
Read more about Inmagic in these blog posts: